Ayurveda is a holistic healing science which comprises of two words, Ayu and Veda.
Ayu means life and Veda means knowledge or science. So the literal meaning of the word Ayurveda is the science of life . It also dealing not only with treatment of some diseases but is a complete way of life aims at making a happy, healthy and peaceful society.
Doshas in Ayurveda :-
- Kapha is standstill or non-movement
- Pitta is the transforming movement
- Vata is the moving or actual movement
These three movements steer life, they are the three pillars of our existence. For instance: the change of the seasons, the course of a day, your state of mind
- wonderful tools for better life style. It gives equal importance to our body, mind and soul ; therefore works with holistic approach.
- Health or sickness depends on the presence or absence of a balanced state of the total body matrix including the balance between its different constituents.
- Both the intrinsic and extrinsic factors can cause disturbance in the natural equilibrium giving rise to disease. This loss of equilibrium can happen by dietary indiscrimination, undesirable habits and non-observance of rules of healthy living.
- Seasonal abnormalities, improper exercise or erratic application of sense organs and incompatible actions of the body and mind can also result in creating disturbance of the existing normal balance.
- The treatment consists of restoring the balance of disturbed body-mind matrix through regulating diet, correcting life-routine and behaviour, administration of drugs and resorting to preventive Panchkarma and Rasayana therapy.
Treatment of the disease consists in avoiding causative factors responsible for disequilibrium of the body matrix or of any of its constituent parts through the use of:-
- Panchkarma procedures
- suitable diet
- activity and regimen for restoring the balance and strengthening the body mechanisms to prevent or minimize future occurrence of the disease.
Types of Treatment
The treatment of disease can broadly be classified as :
- Shodhana therapy (Purification Treatment)
- Shamana therapy (Palliative Treatment)
- Pathya Vyavastha (Prescription of diet and activity)
- Nidan Parivarjan (Avoidance of disease causing and aggravating factors)
- Rasayana therapy(use of immunomodulators and rejuvenation medicines)